Circle of fifths

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Frank Årre Frank Årre 2 years, 11 months ago.

• Participant
    Frank Årre

So I’ve been going over some theory today, trying to patch some of the holes in my very basic understanding of this.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the circle is fifths clockwise and fourths counter-clockwise when ascending.
    Then descending it is fourths clockwise and fifths counter-clockwise?

Keymaster
    Willie

Hey Frank,

Using the Circle of 5ths…if you go clockwise (to the right) that is moving in 5ths. When you go counter-clockwise (to the left) that is moving in 4ths.

I’m not sure what you mean by ascending or descending.

Participant
    Frank Årre

I mean ascending or descending on the piano. Moving from c up to g is a fifth. Moving from c up to f is a fourth. But if you move from c down to f it is a fifth and moving from c down to g it is a fourth ?? Is it not?

Thanks

Keymaster
    Willie

Gotcha, ok yeah it is a bit confusing in that way. So, if you move from C to F going up you are moving an INTERVAL of a perfect 4th. Whereas if you go down, you are moving the INTERVAL of a perfect 5th.

That is thinking of it in terms of intervals. When thinking progressions and HARMONY, you are still moving in 4ths whether you go up or down.

Does that help?

Participant
    Frank Årre

Thanks, that clears it up!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.