Jazzedge Community Forums PianoWithWillie General Music Discussion Going from Ben’s Blues class to Improvisation

Going from Ben’s Blues class to Improvisation

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Willie Willie 4 years, 1 month ago.

Sachin

I have been really trying to work on the Ben’s Blues class. Here is my status:
    – Can play bass line pretty steadily (without looking at notes) at a brisk pace
    – I can mix in melody, chords, syncopated rhythms, etc. at medium pace
    – I can do pentatonic and blues scales that you prescribe at a slow pace

So I will keep practicing. But my question is how to go to the improv step. I have done it once or twice, but I’m not fully confident. Should I just keep doing it? It feels random to me (maybe I need to let go more…). Thanks!

Keymaster
    Willie

This is a great question Sachin.

This very much resembles the 80/20 rule where even though you have done 80% of the work, it is really the 20% where all the magic happens.

Yes, keep going with your improvisation and make sure that you are breaking it into sections.

So, to conquer the last 20% I suggest that you try working the improvisation only between 2 chords to start. Use your metronome to keep your place.

I’ve found the BEST way for students to work on a section of improvisation is to create a lick from a specific rhythm.

So, start with a rhythm like 8 eighth notes to a quarter note.

For example, take this rhythm for example:

example rhythm

Next, apply notes to this rhythm to create a lick like so:

Lick example

Now, of course, this is just one example. The point is that this process allows you to check yourself. What I mean is that with a SET rhythm and SET lick you always know how the lick and the accompaniment “line up”.

Understand where I’m going with this?

Sachin

Thanks Willie! I will try this. I am sure I will have questions on this after I get this part down better 🙂

Keymaster
    Willie

I hope you do! That’s what I’m here for 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.