This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by ChrisK 3 years, 4 months ago.

  • Member

    Hello folks.

    During improvisation, I have used the chord tones of a G major7 scale over an F major7 chord and get a really cool result. This isn’t the first time I’ve done it but want to know the theory/name behind this technique.

    My question is – what is this technique called in theory – raising a scale a tone higher than the root?


    It may be how you voice the Fmaj7 in your left hand but playing G,B,D,F# (Gmaj chord tones) should be fine till you get to the F#. That’s a b9 on a Fmaj7 chord which would be considered very dissonant on a major 7 chord. A b9 though is common on a dominant chord, I.e., F7.

    But beyond that odd note you’re simply playing nice tones against an Fmaj7– the 9th (G), the #11 (B), and the 13th (D).

    Your idea is close to what is called Upper Structure chords, which Willie has some great lessons on.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.