Jazzedge Community Forums PianoWithWillie Theory Discussion Natural Minor? Melodic Minor?

Natural Minor? Melodic Minor?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by dpflynn59@gmail.com David 3 years ago.

David

Hi Willie,

In the Piano Essentials, I’m learning/practicing natural minor scales, but only practicing the major 3-6-2-5-1 progression. Should I also be learning the equivalent progression in natural minor?

Also, and related, you have 2 lessons on melodic minor harmony, but no lessons on natural minor harmony. I’m confused about natural vs. melodic minor applications, and how to apply any of this to tunes in a minor key, e.g., My Funny Valentine.

Any wisdom you can share will be greatly appreciated.

Keymaster
    Willie

Hey David, great question. First of all, the only natural minor progression that you really need to know is the ii-7b5 to V7b9 to i minor. Don’t worry though, you’ll get this progression many places in the lessons on the site.

Besides that progression, learning the bIII Major, bVI Major is also good. If you work on those 2 progressions, you’ll be in great shape.

Check out the lesson Re-harmonizations, Progressions and Extensions for some great progressions.

David

Thanks, Willie. The major scale seem so simple compared to all of the minor scale options. I know I should take it a step at a time…

Dave

David

Willie,

Key of C minor:

iim7b5(add b9) => Dm7b5 = F, Ab, C, Eb
    V7b9 => G7b9 = F, Ab, B, D (or Eb)
    im7(add 9): Eb, G, Bb, D

The B natural in the G7b9 is not diatonic to C natural minor, but it is diatonic to C harmonic minor. The Bb in the Cm7 is diatonic to C natural minor.

Is it correct to say that the G7b9 is “borrowed” from the harmonic minor, or is this like the major iii – V7/ii – ii – V7 -I progression where the Am7 is replaced with an A7 to create the dominant motion?

Thanks,

Dave

Keymaster
    Willie

That’s correct Dave. I also look at the inner voice motion. The Ab of the G7b9 resolved to the 5th of Cm7. The B natural resolves up to the root.

David

Now it makes sense! Thanks for the help.

Dave

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.